Deadline for Submission: 31st July, 2020
Applicable to: Nigerian nationals only
Contract Duration: Three (3) Months
Open Society Foundations (OSF) in collaboration with National Human Rights Commission is carrying out a project titled “Research Project to Review the Security Accountability Mechanisms Within the Context of Counter Insurgency Operations in The North East of Nigeria”
The Project broadly aims at promoting accountability for human rights violations during counter-insurgency operations in North East Nigeria, and the development of guidelines for documenting human rights violations in counter-insurgency operations in Nigeria.
The specific goals of the project are to -
- Carry out a study through administration of questionnaires, conducting of Focused Group Discussion (FGD) and Key Informant’s Interview (KII) to review the scope and typology of violations by security agencies and determine the effectiveness of accountability measures against perpetrators of such violations.
- Strengthen institutional and other mechanisms for effective oversight and accountability of security actors in counter insurgency operations in Nigeria.
- Undertake a desk review of current oversight, policy and legal frameworks for ensuring accountability of security actors.
- Undertake a mapping of existing accountability frameworks to determine what combination of law, regulation and policy is best suited to address violations by security agencies during counter insurgency operations in the project states.
2. How the Proposed Consultancy will assist the Project in achieving its Humanitarian Objectives
The consultant will assist NHRC, OSIWA, Nigeria Armed Forces and the country as a whole gain more knowledge of the trend of human rights violations, level of compliance with human rights best practices in counter-insurgency operations as well as highlight violations that have hitherto not been brought to fore during the several years of counter terrorism operations in the North East.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant shall submit a report on the level of compliance with accountability for human rights violations in North East Nigeria. The report should identify the trend of violations or emerging human rights violations as well as other rights related issues with respect to the Counter-Insurgency Operations in the North East.
4. Specific Activities
The Consultant shall carry out the following tasks/activities -
a. Prepare an inception report together with a work plan of activities
b. engage the services of a statistician to develop questionnaire for the collection of relevant data, carry out the mapping of the respondents on which the questionnaires are to be administered and analyses of responses from respondents.
c. organize meetings /surveys and conduct FGD and KII to collect relevant data
d. extract key findings based on analyses of data collected
d. attend all validation and review meetings on the report
e. any other assignments necessary for the development of the final report as may be directed by the National Human Rights Commission
The Consultant shall -
a) submit narrative report of activities carried out in executing the specific assignment
b) Prepare for review and validation a draft Report on the Level of Compliance and Accountability for Human Rights in North East Nigeria
c) submit a final report on the Level of Compliance and Accountability for Human Rights in North East Nigeria properly edited and ready for publication
6. Duration of Contract
• 1st September -30th November, 2020 (The Consultant will be engaged for 3 months)
7. Skills and Experience Required of the Consultant
The consultant is expected to have the following skills and qualifications:
i. Advanced degrees in Law, Criminology or Social Sciences or related discipline;
ii. A minimum of ten (10) years' experience in the Justice sector. Experience in the development and facilitation of transitional justice or IHL systems will be an advantage;
iii. At least 5 years of experience working in organizational development, capacity building in the specified area;
iv. An understanding of the socio-political and economic context of North east Nigeria
v. Excellent writing and communication skills in English;
vi. Ability to speak Hausa; Kanuri language ability will be an added advantage;
vii. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with diverse people.
8. Method of Application
• CV or company profile showing similar experience with 3 referees
• Area of coverage and proposed implementation plan
• Implementation plan with a clear timeline and milestones